Saturday, March 28, 2015

Final Decisions are made!

The hardest decisions are done.

We went with the white Winstead cabinets with black laminate countertop (with a beveled edge).  While laminate wasn't my first choice, it's easily replaced down the road and allowed us to stay on budget.  (While still getting those awesome GE Cafe line stainless appliances!)

This is the kind of look we're going for...

I'm thinking I want a build a kitchen/dining table for that huge breakfast bumpout... maybe something like this??  We still haven't decided what color we'll be accenting with yet, but I'm loving the farmhouse table look.  With seating for at least 8...


We went with the English leather floors throughout the first floor, and tan colored carpet for upstairs. (See the previous post for pics!).  We also selected the brushed bronze light fixtures and doorknobs/hardware.  

For the Venetian Bath, we went with a brown colored theme with the brushed bronze fixtures, sarsaparilla colored cabinets, stark white sinks and tub, and lighter colored dramatic marble surround.  (I can't find any great pictures, so you'll have to wait for the finished product!)

The fireplace will be the standard white mantel, with a slate surround...  


This was a concession, because what I really wanted was this...

But in the end, it was over a $2K difference, and my super practical bestie convinced me that all stone/brick fireplaces get dated over time... but the mantel lives on!

Now - for the exterior.  We really didn't want to spend our money on how the house looked from the outside.  It was more important to put those funds to use on the inside, and create curb appeal later with a little sweat equity!  So we choose a light Victorian grey vinyl siding, black shutters, and a red door!  My heart was set on white, but the neighbor has a white house, and they wouldn't let us put two of the same color next to each other... sigh.  But the door?  No brainer! 

Our sidelights will be 5-pane, going to the floor... and only one lamp, but you get the idea!

And lastly, we went with a wood deck.  Why?  Simply put, $$.  In the end, they have great deck finishing products that will require some upkeep in comparison to composite, but we are just as happy with real wood.  Plus, because there is an easement on the back of our property, we were unable to put the full deck on the back of the breakfast bump-out, as I had envisioned it.  Instead, we put a 5ft wide deck across the 17.5ft length of the bump-out.  Stairs to grade will go on one end, and an 11x16 deck will be on the other side, in front of our family room.  It will still be a grand space, and I'm excited for the views from the kitchen!

To be honest, this process has been much easier than we'd ever imagined.  I'm not going to lie, I did lose some sleep over some of these decisions... I mean, you only get one chance to make it right.  The hardest part of this week was waiting for the loan commitment from the bank.  It was a huge sigh of relief when we got the final conditional approval.  Now it feels like this is really happening!  I'm not sure it's really set-in yet.  Someone pinch me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment